Saturday, January 23, 2010

Former Dodger Bragan, initially opposed to Jackie Robinson, but later a supporter dead at 92


Former Brooklyn Dodger catcher and big league manager Bobby Bragan has died at age 92.

Bragan, a reserve catcher, was initially opposed to playing on the same team with the first African American player, Jackie Robinson, in 1947, but quickly changed his mind:

Playing for the hometown Dodgers, Bragan was part of the group of players that objected to Jackie Robinson's addition to the Brooklyn club. After spending time with Robinson, Bragan quickly relented. "After just one road trip, I saw the quality of Jackie the man and the player," Bragan told mlb.com in 2005. "I told Mr. Rickey I had changed my mind and I was honored to be a teammate of Jackie Robinson."Bragan quickly relented. "After just one road trip, I saw the quality of Jackie the man and the player. I told Mr. Rickey I had changed my mind and I was honored to be a teammate of Jackie Robinson."


***
The above information is from today's New York Baseball History Examiner.

No comments: